William C. Merchant
Mr. Merchant concentrates his legal practice in the litigation areas of personal injury, wrongful death, commercial/civil trial, foreclosures, litigation, landlord/tenant, construction law, lien foreclosures, collections, quiet title, estate litigation and trust litigation. Mr. Merchant is also a Florida certified circuit/county court mediator and arbitrator since 1995 and has served as a Special Magistrate. Mr. Merchant has extensive experience in both plaintiff and defense work, in areas such as:
- Represented banks and commercial/residential owners, both as Plaintiff and Defendant, in foreclosure matters with collections in excess of $500,000.00.
- Represented minors and guardians in personal injury matters regarding defective/malfunctioned products.
- Represented clients in wrongful death claims against an estate and surviving spouses and/or beneficiaries.
- Represented real estate investors and large businesses through economic crises and foreclosure defense.
- Represented clients in preventing the fraudulent taking of real and personal property.
Mr. Merchant has been active and involved in civic activities, as a member of the Board of Directors of the Cape Coral YMCA (1981-1982), a member of the Board of Directors of the Cape Coral Chamber of Commerce (1991-1993) and President of the Cape Coral Bar Association (2005).
Areas of Practice
♦ Commercial/Civil Trial
♦ Construction Law
♦ Estate Litigation
♦ Lien Foreclosures
♦ Personal Injury
♦ Quiet Title
♦ Trust Litigation
♦ Wrongful Death
Mr. Merchant was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Ann Arbor, Michigan. He received his B.A. from the University of Michigan in 1964 and his J.D. degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1973. Before being admitted to the Florida Bar in 1981, he was a member of the Wisconsin Bar (1973), as well as the Michigan Bar (1975). Mr. Merchant served as a pre-hearing law clerk for the Michigan Court of Appeals and law clerk to the Honorable Wendell A. Miles, United States District Judge for Michigan. He has also been admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, Western District Court of Michigan, the Sixth Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals and Middle District of Florida. He was appointed as the acting prosecuting attorney for Ashland County, Wisconsin and has served as an Assistant Attorney for the City of Cape Coral. He is a senior partner with the law firm, having started its litigation department in 1988.
Florida: January 20, 1981
All state courts in Florida and Michigan
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida